"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break." -Chinese Proverb



24.5.10

Really

On Saturday, the squirt and I went to my dad's for a BBQ.....it was in celebration of a pseudo uncle recovering from a year of not great health. Which means my pseudo cousin, her husband and two girls were there, pseudo cousin's brother and wife were there, both my brothers and my brothers family was there, another pseudo cousin family was there including an aunt, her mother and one of her sons with his wife and 1 year old. Also in attendence was a cousin, his son and father in law, old neighbours, my SIL's parents and three close friends...you know, people that are FAMILY!!!!!....randomly, there was this couple there.....only my dad and brothers seemed to know them....which isn't uncommon as they frequently invite customers to these BBQs and because pseudo uncle is in construction, I assumed that they knew him as well.
WELL, as the story goes, told to me by my SIL (and I may be butchering it or embellishing it as my memory isn't the greatest) my brother was working with this woman (who is a kitchen designer). She casually asked my brother what his plans were for the long weekend....my brother responded that there wasn't much going on though there would be a BBQ at his dad's on Saturday. She quickly asked what time and then sighed saying she had something at 5 but would try to make it for a few hours. My brother is a VERY polite man (most of the time) and I can only imagine his face as he tried to hide the confusion and shock of this conversation, probably replaying it over and over in his mind trying to recall if he had invited her....... never the less, he didn't invite but she and her partner attended. So, the boy is playing with his cousins and the other children there, I'm chatting and catching up with pseudo cousins, SIL and bros and this woman is trying to get in on our conversations.....I don't know, I try to be polite but sometimes it doesn't work.....she cornered me asking me if Adrien was mine, when I responded yes, she asked me how far along I was.......My response to her was a very curt "I'm just fat" Now...I know I'm a BIG girl, I get it, but I'm pretty proportionate..... I have NEVER before been mistaken as pregnant....but there is a first for everything....so I go and scurry over to my SIL to tell her, laugh and lick my wounds....when she comes over AGAIN....and starts telling me how my SIL is doing right, being pregnant with her 4th and how the kids can keep each other occupied and that I need to get on it and have another one soon..... At this point I felt I had 2 choices. I could have told her that I was in fertile and couldn't get pregnant and adopted my son (which should have embarrassed her to no end) or do what I did, told her that a 2nd child was a work in progress and hopefully sooner than later there would be another one in our home. I realize that I'm probably maturing because normally I would have responded the first way. But then I thought, this woman is a stranger and I'm not sharing that we adopted our son, I didn't share the adoption out of shame but out of respect for Adrien's privacy. Anyways, there were MANY sighs of relief when she left and we all had a good laugh!

Today we spent the morning in the back yard, I have finished cleaning up the garden and backyard and we know have some tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and onions in the garden. Next week I will be planting beans and peas. Anyways, the neighbour came over with her daughter, we filled up the pool, watched the kids play, ate lunch and had freezes....what a great morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment