"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break." -Chinese Proverb



30.9.09

Adrien Joe

As a child, I remember wanting to marry my dad, I think all little girls think that is who they will marry.
Though my dad and I have been through A LOT of rough patches and haven't seen eye to eye on MANY MANY things, our love for each other has never waivered. I know that he has my back, for always and forever.
When hubby and I were going through IF, he asked, how can I help...when then didn't work, he took me for a three hour walk to help me see the silver lining. When I told him we were adopting, I couldn't read him....he's a man who keeps his emotions close to himself. As time went on, I asked him again and I asked him how he felt about it, would he consider our child as one of his own. He responded that families are made up of different stories, and this is the story of his family.
When we found out about Adrien, I called him excited and crying and his first response was, get whatever you need and don't worry about. After a while, he called back and "lectured me" in his way. Knowing how much I wanted to be a mom he cautioned me to get all the information before making any decisions about this child. After I reassured him that we had done our homework and we were excited, he was cautiously excited knowing that the court proceedings were not done and he didn't want my heart broken. He loves Adrien, the minute I get there, Adrien is swept out of my arms and played with and cuddled. The day the birth family could no longer appeal the court decision and Adrien was free for adoption was probably one of the happiest days for all of us.
Adrien came with a birth name which hubby and I have kept his first name but have changed his middle name to Joe, after my dad.....Joe, just Joe....not Joseph or the Italian version Giuseppe, just Joe.......I remember talking to my dad one day on the porch and he asked what his name was. I told him it was Adrien Joe. He asked if that was the name he came with, I replied he came with Adrien but we're changing his middle name to Joe. My dad smiled and whispered, AJ....I like that.....I knew he was honoured but didn't know how to express it.
Then we went to a picnic.....and a bunch of my dad's friends were there. In Italian, one guy asked my dad who the baby was and I almost cried as my dad responded, my grandson!
Adrien Joe, you have a great dad, great grandfather and great uncles.....I hope this men guide you and teach you how to be the man I know you will be....You have some big shoes to fill little man!

1 comment: